As promised, here is a great use for your new-found vegan cashew nacho sauce-making skills. A super easy, hearty, satisfying dinner that is definitely weeknight doable. This dish is comfort food meets veggie goodness with a spicy cheesy twist. Always a hit in our house, hopefully it will become a favorite in yours too.
The secrets to speed are my shortcut vegan queso sauce recipe and pre-microwaving the potatoes so that the casserole only has to spend about 15 minutes total in the oven. This casserole can easily serve 4 hungry adults for dinner (the cashew in the sauce makes it surprisingly filling!).
- 6 medium potatoes (I used Yukon gold, my favorites)
- 2 cups of chopped broccoli
- 1 ripe tomato (or about 12 ripe grape or cherry tomatoes)
- 3-4 scallions
- optional: 1 can of drained black beans (not used here, but can be added to add additional protein and bulk to this dish if desired)
- 1/2 cup of cashew nacho cheese sauce (recipe here – can be made in advance, or while the potatoes are cooking)
Preheat oven to 400F. Clean and trim (and optionally peel) your potatoes, poke with fork a few times, and microwave for 8 minutes.
While the potatoes are cooking, you can make your nacho cheese sauce if you haven’t already. Once it’s ready, chop your tomatoes (and broccoli, if not pre-chopped). Mince the scallions. When the potatoes are cooked, slice them into 1/2 inch thick slices and lay these along the bottom of a 9 x 13″ baking dish.
Next, layer on the broccoli, followed by the optional beans if using, followed by the tomatoes and then the scallions.
Bake for 8-10 min until the broccoli is cooked. Then drizzle on your nacho sauce and bake for an additional 5 min.
Serve hot. Yum yum yum!