Summer is my favorite time of year for many reasons, not the least of which is the abundance of many of my favorite fruits. Hooray for nectarines, peaches, apricots and berries! Fruit crisps are one of my favorite desserts of all time, and my favorite way to cook with these wonderful summer fruits. There is something about that combination of sweet and tart summer fruit, and the crumbly buttery oaty crust that is just perfection.
I also encourage stocking up on extra summer fruit, slicing and freezing it so that you can enjoy these wonderful summery flavors any time of year! See below for tips to make this recipe vegan and/or gluten free. Serves 4-6.
- 5-6 medium sized stone fruit (I like to use ripe yellow nectarines, but feel free to use any combination of peaches, nectarines, or apricots)
- 1 cup of fresh berries (I used sliced strawberries here, but blackberries and raspberries work beautifully too)
- 6 Tbsp of butter, softened OR a natural butter substitute (I love Earth Balance which you can get at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour OR almond meal (gluten-free alternative!)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar OR 2 packets of stevia + 1 Tbsp brown sugar (lower sugar version)
Preheat oven to 325 F. Slice up the stone fruit and strawberries, if applicable. Fill a 9″ pie dish (or double the recipe and scale up to a 9 x 13″ pan to give you ~12 servings) with the sliced fruit. Freeze any excess sliced fruit for a rainy day!
Then, to make the delicious buttery topping: in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, and sugar/stevia. Then dice the butter into small pebble-sized pieces or spoon out thin wisps of the Earth Balance. Using your hands, mush the butter/Earth Balance fully into the dry ingredients until you get a nice clumpy mixture.
Crumble the topping generously over all of the fruit to cover. Then bake for about 45 minutes or until top is golden brown and the fruit is fully cooked and bubbly.
Serve warm. And nobody should object if you choose to serve this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!